Friday, February 8, 2008

Storms and Stoves

In case anyone has been watching the weather channel and wondered, we're OK. The 60-odd tornadoes that hit Kentucky and the surrounding states missed us. Our county and some of the bordering counties still sustained some nasty damage from the thunderstorm and near-hurricane force winds: power outages, property damage, and even a few injuries and fatalities. Thankfully, after flipping one of our trailers and blowing the grill off our porch, the storm left us alone. I've decided I prefer wondering if my car battery will be frozen in the morning or speculating about when the mountain is finally going to blow up to worrying that the wind is going to knock my house flat. I'm not a fan of waking up because my dishes are rattling so hard in the cupboard that I'm afraid I'll find a kitchen full of glass shards in the morning.
Speaking of nasty things to find in your kitchen, my stove has been producing a really odd smell every time I turn it on for a while now. After cleaning every inch of it, I was completely baffled as to why it would smell so awful. Then one day I walked into the kitchen and could have sworn I saw a little brown tail whisk under the back burner. Already busy and stressed about other things, I asked John if he would check to see if there was a mouse in the stove. Armed with a screwdriver, he discovered that there was not just one mouse burrowing through the insulation in the stove, there were nests, tunnels, poop, chewed wires, burn marks, and DEAD ANIMALS in there. If that were not gross enough, there was a screw missing where someone had put the stove back together after placing MOUSETRAPS inside the stove. So not only has the stove been infested since before we bought the house, someone KNEW what a disgusting fire hazard it was and decided not to fix it or tell bother telling us!!! I was furiously pacing, yelling hyperbolic nonsense ("I CAN'T live here ANYMORE!") while my husband calmly started cleaning up and coming up with a budget for a new oven. We went to Lowe's and picked one up and my Jeep got a flat tire on the way home, which unleashed my next tirade of hyperbole ("Things never EVER go right!"). John was very gracious when I apologized later that night and put a positive spin on the whole thing. We found a mouse hole we had missed previously and blocked it up, we have a very nice new oven, and he is trying to replace the insulation in the old one and turn it into a kiln for power-coating parts in the shop. I love him...
Despite the storm and stove issue, things are going well here. John finally went to the doctor and got his knees X-rayed, which confirmed that his meniscus (cartilage) is eroding. It's not good news, but we already expected it and at least now they can either fix it or give him disability for it. He's having an MRI sometime soon so they can get a better look at it.
Jason is doing good. He says new words and does new things faster than we can keep up with, and he is still doing great with the babysitter.
School is going well for me. I passed another lab checkpoint, just barely the other day. I was supposed to be demonstrating my understanding of sterile technique by doing a sterile dressing change. It's not hard, but it does have a lot of steps and requires following a lot of rules very precisely. I was the first one to go in my group and maybe that's why my lab instructor decided to mess with me. I started doing my little routine I had practiced, and all of a sudden she starts moving my mannequin. "What if your patient does this?" she said. I wasn't ready for the interruption, but I gave her the right answer, breathed a sigh of relief, and turned back to what I was doing and realized I had contaminated. I explained how I would have corrected my mistake and continued, but was a little flustered and screwed up again about 30 seconds later. I fixed it, but made an awful face which made my teacher and lab partners start to giggle. Which totally threw me off and made me giggle and I made another mistake. Long story short, I broke almost every principle of sterile technique there is, but I caught my self every time and knew how to fix it, so my teacher passed me anyway. Plus I made her laugh hysterically. I made up for it on the exam the next day though: 96%, giving me a solid A in the class (for the moment anyway).
Here are some new pictures, I know it's been awhile:

Photobucket

Jason playing with the big ball. He's been really happy that the weather's warmed up and he can play outside more.

Photobucket

Jason loves it when the cats jump in his crib and likes to pretend to read to them. He calls it "Kitty cuddle a book."

Photobucket
Photobucket
Jason explaining whats wrong with Daddy's Jeep.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Me and J, just because we haven't taken a picture with me in it for a while.

No comments: